02 December 2009

Yes, I do wash my hair.


I have dreadlocks. And I happen to love them. And YES I WASH MY HAIR.
I get this question all the time, and it rather confuses me. Do you wash your brushable hair? Yes? Well, why should I not wash my hair? A clean scalp is a happy scalp, and hair actually dreads better when it's clean.
So, the next questions come firing out. How do you wash your hair? How often? What do you use?
Well, I wash my hair about once a week. Believe it or not, your scalp is capable of not getting super-oily once you stop putting so much product in it and stop washing it every day, which strips natural oils and causes your head to produce more than you need. So my hair is perfectly happy and healthy with its "bath days" once a week. :)
Because I can't comb residue out of my hair, I have to be careful when choosing what to wash my dreads with. You can go "No-Poo", which is awesome and great for your head, or just choose a non-residue shampoo. When I don't do no-poo, I use this solid shampoo. I really like solid shampoo because it's easy to use, eco-friendly (No plastic containers! Just a little reusable metal tin.), and pretty good for you. It does contain the dreaded Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, but because it's in such small amount and I don't use it every day, I don't mind so much. I also do something called deep-cleaning, which I might detail later.
I wash my hair by soaping up my hands and scrubbing my scalp, just like you! The soapy water washes down and through my dreads (with a little help) and then I rinse them clean like sponges. I dry my hair with a towel and blow-dry for a bit to make sure they're really dry.
And that's it!
Every person with dreads that I know washes them. Would you not wash YOUR hair?
:)

The photo above is a recent one taken from a hike I was on this weekend. I happen to think it's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment